Thursday, January 14, 2010

Carson's Injury

Last night at around 5 pm I was feeding Makenzie and Carson had gotten into our closet under our stairs and was playing around in their. Before i knew it Carson was crying and then his cry was getting worse. So I set Makenzie down to go and get Carson. I find him hold his foot and our bucket with rice in it on the floor. He had somehow pulled the bucket down and it landed on his foot. His right big toe immediately turned purple under his toenail and he had some bleeding with lose skin. I took him to the bathroom to wash his foot and to get a better look at it. It does not look to bad, but looks can be deceiving. I give him Tylenol because he was in a lot of pain. I could not get him to calm down and even put an ice bag on his toe to help with the swelling and pain. I called Matt at work, told him what had happened and to come home quickly to help calm Carson down. By the time Matt had come home I was able to calm Carson down with helping me cook dinner. He was limping the rest of the evening and Matt and I debated whether we should take him to see a doctor not knowing if it might have been broken. We decided to hold off and see what today would bring. I put Carson to bed around 8:30 his normal time and he went down just fine. An hour later he wakes up crying in pain. I get him and bring him downstairs to watch T.V. with me to calm him down and I could not. You could tell he was in a lot of pain. So I try to call Matt who had left at 9 pm to play basketball to have him come and take Carson to the Hospital. I could not get a hold of him and was getting mad.

I called my brother to come and hang out at my house because I did not want to wake Makenzie up and take her to the hospital. My brother tells my mom that I have to take Carson to the hospital and then she calls me. I did not call her first thinking that she was in bed and did not want to wake her. I tell her what happened through my tears and she comes to my house to go to the hospital with me. I still have not been able to get a hold of Matt and have left him messages. So my brother his here with Makenzie asleep and Carson, my mom, and I head the hospital. The waiting room was full and we waited for quiet awhile. While we were waiting I finally heard from Matt who was done playing basketball and says he did not hear his phone ring. I told him to just go home so my brother could go home. We debated about him coming to the hospital so I could go home and sleep, but we did not do that. I think we finally got taken back around 12:30am to see a doctor. While we were waiting in our room Carson had a dirty diaper and I forgot to bring anything with me. So my mom runs to the store to buy diapers and wipes because the hospital only caries newborn and adult size diapers. So we get his diaper changed with a very bad diaper rash which is causing him more pain than his toe. We got x-rays and it showed no brakes which was a good thing. They gave him medicine to help dull the pain of them burning a hole in his toenail to allow the blood and fluids to come out from under his toenail which relieved the pressure causing him to been in pain. So Carson will lose his toe nail and we have months of trying to protect his toe while a new one grows. Right now we have to be on the look out for infection. Carson did not sleep at all at the hospital so he feel asleep not long after getting in the car. I finally got home 2:15am, put Carson to bed and then myself to bed since I had to be to work at 5:30am.

I was very tired at work this morning and after a 2 hour nap I still feel extremely tired. I plan on going to bed very early tonight. This was my first trip to the hospital with a child and I hope it does not happen to often. I don't know if I can handle it, even though I think I did pretty well. While I was at the hospital I kept hoping they would not have my talk to a social worker because of how Carson hurt himself. I try to be a good mom, I Promise! Just creating memories.

1 comment:

Christina Olson said...

Poor little guy!! I hope it heals quick! Sooner or later I'm sure we will end up in the ER, it's bound to come. Good luck!